Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Book Report: L.A. Candy

Me and some of the ECDubs girls pooled our change and bought a copy of Lauren Conrad's L.A. Candy; we all wanted to read it but no one wanted to be the person who bought a copy of L.A. Candy. I was last on the list to read it ('cause, you know, I was busy plowing through 1,200 pages of Stephenie Meyer) and let me tell you this: I didn't think I would like it. But I did.

LC's book is pretty much what you'd expect: a story of a girl plucked from obscurity to reality-tv stardom and the friends and boyfriends along the way. What I didn't expect was for the book to be so anti-celebrity culture. Sure, she gets glammed up and goes to the hottest clubs, but she's totally uncomfortable in the spotlight. The Lauren character discovers everyone is a big old faker; gossip magazines are full of lies; friendships and romances go awry; the reality of these shows is revealed to be scripted.

It's not a great book, or even a good book, but for this kind of YA fiction it totally stands up. And for a book written by someone who is only being published because she was on The Hills, it's surprisingly honest and kinda depressing. Two thumbs up! (You can read an excerpt here.)

2 comments:

Erin said...

And, I think there's probs a sequel on the way.

Crissy Calhoun said...

There definitely is! Sweet Little Lies - Feb 2010