Monday, August 27, 2007

shakespeare at my wedding

Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove:
O no! it is an ever-fixed mark
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;
It is the star to every wandering bark,
Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.
Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
Within his bending sickle's compass come:
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
But bears it out even to the edge of doom.
If this be error and upon me proved,
I never writ, nor no man ever loved.

2 comments:

Sharelle said...

When I was 16 I worked a bookstore and one night I was closing up by myself and an old man that I'd never seen before came in and asked if we had the collected works of Shakespeare. I found a copy and he made me take it out of the shrink wrap and find sonnet 116. He leaned over the counter and recited the whole thing from memory as I followed along in the book. He then bowed ever so slightly and left the store. I didn't say anything the whole time and I never saw him again. That's all.

Christopher said...

i used to have that one memorized.

here's another of my favourites:

The expense of spirit in a waste of shame
Is lust in action; and till action, lust
Is perjured, murderous, bloody, full of blame,
Savage, extreme, rude, cruel, not to trust;
Enjoy'd no sooner but despised straight;
Past reason hunted; and no sooner had,
Past reason hated, as a swallowed bait,
On purpose laid to make the taker mad:
Mad in pursuit, and in possession so;
Had, having, and in quest to have, extreme;
A bliss in proof, and proved, a very woe;
Before, a joy proposed; behind, a dream.

All this the world well knows; yet none knows well
To shun the heaven that leads men to this hell.

maybe not so much for a wedding, though.