Saturday, July 16, 2005

ccw

crissy's cultural week

normally i watch buffy and angel. this week (in addition to buffy & angel) i went to a fringe play and to a cinematheque ontario screening. yes, hello, i participate in the many wondrous cultural arty things happening in this unlimited Toronto of ours.

The fringe play ("An Unfortunate Woman") was indeed aptly titled. It turns out that the one woman in this one-woman show isn't the unfortunate one. It's me. And poor Natasha who I invited along. For an hour of mime and idiocy and bad British accents, dog impressions, the repetition of "oh yessss" with a few bits of songs that were actually decent thrown in to keep the prisoner-audience alive. Alive in the sweltering, no A/C during the heat wave, hot box theatre. And no I don't mean hot-box theatre; i mean hot box-theatre. OH lordy.

Juliet of the Spirits (par Fellini) was much better and of course much battier. I think I may have nightmares. I think I may go batty. The coincidence of it all was this: When Maya and I walked into the theatre I hear some Italian man saying 'ciao' and so on and think to myself, isn't that nice he won't have to read the subtitles. maya and i sit. i hear my name. i turn around. the italian man was john dad saying ciao cristina. there he was with a (lady)friend. funny funny.

tonight dinner at tasha's mit sssarain. tomorrow perhaps to the chocolate factory with charlie. then back to the grind on monday. which i don't mind b/c i'm proofing a novel called showbiz which is v. clever and has me laughing as i read it.

No comments: